Wednesday, June 1, 2011

7 Tips to Check if Your Bra Fits


Once you know your bra size range you can start to focus on which style of bra you like. This is often determined by which shape you want your bras to give you and which kind of bras you need for you own personal style (rocking a 50s v-neck dress - you might want a good plunge bra). No matter which style you choose it's important to know how to check if your bra fits you. Here is my checklist of things to tick off when wearing a bra:

1.    ALL of your breast tissue must be inside the cup. This means the wires mustn't press against your breast tissue and your boobs shouldn't spilling out over the top of your cup.

2.    Your bra band should lie flat against your skin with room for 2 fingers to run smoothly beneath it. It’s a fallacy to think you’ll never feel your bra (it’s holding up several pounds of weight) your band should be firmly supportive without cutting into you.

3.    The band of your bra should be at the same height at the back as it is at the front – both parallel with the floor. You shouldn’t be able to pull the band very far from your body at the back. If you can pull it away more than 1-2 inches then your bra band is too big.

4.    The front centre part of your bra (the gore) should lie flat against your body between your breasts. If it is gaping and pulling away from your body then you’re in too small a cup size or too large a band.


6.    Adjust your bra straps so that your boobs are level. Your nipples should be at equal height and lie half way between your elbow and your shoulder.  Your straps are there for evening out; they’re not there to take a huge amount of weight. If you have your straps on their tightest position then you’re in the wrong bra (probably too big a band size and too small a cup but it could also be that you need a bra with a fully adjustable strap).

7. When you lift your arms straight up in the air your bra band shouldn't move. The cups should still encase your boobs completely.

If you can tick all these off your fitting list then you’re in the right bra, If even one of these things isn't right with your bra then you need to remeasure yourself and get your girls into a bra they will love. Our bra size calculator is a great place to start. It’s a Bra Fact that when you’re in a properly fitting bra you feel much better both physically and emotionally. xx

3 comments:

  1. Woah - I just lifted my arms over my head and my bra moves practically up to my armpits!! (guess it doens't help that it's about 2 years old!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela T, on a nipple rescue mission!June 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM

    When I looked in teh mirror to check if my nipples were between my elbow and shoulder I laughed! My nipples are hanging out with my elbows :|

    So with my cat looking on with a puzzled expression I've measured myself and I am 35 inches under my bra and 41 over the big part. I've worked out that I'm a 36E and was wearing a 40D. New bras needed!

    Don't worry nipples, I'm going to get you lifted up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were inspired to find out your best bra size Angela! You can email our team on support@butterflycollection.ca or call 1-888-225-0474 if you need any advice on finding the right fit.

    Best of luck to you and your nipples!

    ReplyDelete