Monday, September 17, 2012

Why Do Cup Volumes Get Bigger As the Band Gets Bigger?

One of our most popular blog posts is ‘Not All D Cups Are The Same’ which explains that the volume of D cups (all cups in fact) gets bigger as the band size gets bigger. This is why a woman wearing a 32E can also wear a 34D because the cup volume is the same, only the band is different.

This chart from the 'Not All D Cups Are The Same' blog shows Sister Sizing - bra sizes with the same cup volume
Lots of women were interested in the topic but asked for some more explanation. Today's post goes into more depth about why the volume of the same cup letter gets bigger as the band gets bigger. 

What Would We Look Like If All Cup Sizes Really Were The Same Volume?
As regular readers will know, cup sizes simply acknowledge the difference between a woman’s ribcage measurement and her full bust measurement. So for example both these women have D cup breasts because they both have a four inch difference between their ribcage and full bust measurements:

Woman A is a 30D (Ribcage = 30 inches, Full Bust = 34 inches)
Woman B is a 38D (Ribcage = 38 inches, Full Bust = 42 inches)

So why does Woman B with a 38D bust look bustier than Woman A who has a 30D bust? The answer is that Woman B's bust is PROPORTIONALLY bigger than Woman A.

To put this into context let's take the 30D breasts from Woman A and put them on women with 32, 34, 36 and 38 bodies to see what it looks like.
You can see that if all the women had exactly the same volume and size of breasts as Woman A then by the time you get to Woman B with a 38 body the breasts look pretty small (and quite far apart). In reality as our bodies get wider, so too do our breasts. The extra width doesn't just happen to our backs and band size, extra width applies to our breasts too.

Breasts Get Wider as Our Band Sizes Gets Wider
Here is the same diagram of 30 to 38 size women but this time the breasts increase in size in the same proportion as the body increase. You can see that the breasts get wider as the body does.

All these women are D cups because the difference between their ribcages and full bust measurements is four inches. To see why the breasts get bigger as the body does but the cup letter doesn't change let's take an aerial view of the breasts.

What Difference Does A Wider Breast Make to Cup Volume?
This diagram shows 30, 32, 34, 36 and 38 band women who all have the same depth breasts (this depth of breasts is always a D cup):
You can see that as the breasts get wider (but not deeper) the number of dots (i.e. volume) inside the breasts increases. The 30D breasts have 14 dots in them, then as the band size increases each breast increases by one dot. By the time you get to the 38D breasts they have 8 more dots inside them than the 30D breasts.

This is why the breasts on a 38D woman look much bigger than the breasts on a 30D woman, basically because they are. They are ALL D cups because they're all the same depth but their cup volumes are different because as the band size increases so too does the breast volume.

I hope that these posts and explanations of breasts helps you understand yours and other women's breasts better so please let me know if you find the explanations helpful or just plain confusing! The important thing to remember is that cup sizes don't say anything about the size of your breasts without the band size. xx

11 comments:

  1. Brava! I hadn't quite pictured what your diagram so clearly explained--that the increased width of someone's 38 underbust frame is going to make each 38D breast much wider than each 30D breast on someone's 30 underbust frame. Since volume is measured in three dimensions, therefore the larger volume of a 38D boob is from its longer width as well as, I believe, each boob's longer vertical length?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's absolutely right! The increase in volume is vertical and horizontal. I'm so glad the diagram was helpful in explaining why cup volumes get bigger as the band gets bigger. Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete
  2. As always, incredibly useful and well-explained post! I'm always trying to explain this to people. Now I can just link to this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely compliment K. Line! I hope this link helps you explain the band/cup relationship to other women xx

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic explanation! Thanks so much- this will really help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have found the information useful. It's always good to know that what's in my head translates onto paper! xx

      Delete
  4. This explains why I such difficulty getting bras to fit me! I got re-measured recently and told that instead of the UK 32DD I was, I'm now a 34DD. But none of the bras they had in the 34DD fitted right - the cups seemed to want to fit under my armpits, whilst not giving enough forward volume to fit my boobs in. I kept suggesting she tried me in a 32 band (no matter what bust size I've been, a 32 has always been the most comfortable on me, 30 too tight, 34 too loose) and an E cup, but she said it wouldn't fit me.
    My boobs don't have a lot of width volume, its mostly straight out. If I could take my current 32DD bras and just add a strip about a cm or two to the centre front of the cups, whilst maintaining the same amount of gap between the cups (another issue I have - the gap gets too big on larger bands) then they'd fit perfectly. I don't need extra volume to the sides. I need more forward facing volume. The bigger my boobs get, the further they stick out at the front, they just don't spread like those images do.
    Why do mine have to be so awkward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also worth noting: she wanted me in a bigger band size (so 34 instead of 32) which, if the same cup volume would have been a 34D, but she thought a 34DD would be a better fit. So an increase in band AND cup volume. I still believe I'd have been better off swapping to a 32E, no change in band size. So I didn't end up getting a new bra that day as I got fed up of trying on hideous monstrosities. How hard can it be to get a simple beige tshirt bra with light padding (just enough to hide nipples, a foam cup) in a plunge style (balcony doesn't fit me right)? It bugs me because I know what fits me right, but I just can't find what I need any more. I miss being a 32C and even a 32D, things were simpler then. Getting into DD/E territory has meant bands becoming deeper and straps becoming wider which I just do not need.

      Delete
    2. You're so right that things change a lot as you enter the DD/E cup territory. I think the problem you're experiencing is style more than size. It sounds like a 32DD is right for you in many ways but you need to find bras in this size that are the right style. It's worth checking out Ewa Michalak, Cleo from Panache and perhaps try Rhea from Masquerade. Style is as important as size for many women xx

      Delete
  5. This post makes me so happy. I've been confused about how something that was four inches larger than my band size was a different size cup (but with the same letter) for YEARS. Thanks for explaining in an understandable way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it helped Sarah. Once you figure it out it can make finding your fit so much easier. xx

      Delete