Monday, October 21, 2013

Don't Tell Me I Should Hate my Breasts!

Last week there was an article in The Hufffington Post (originally posted on Literally, Darling) that really irritated me. The two authors were bemoaning the problems and effects of growing and having larger breasts. This is a subject that is very real and many women with large breasts will feel some empathy with what the writers have to say. What bugs me is that the article (and many others like it) assume that ALL large breasted women are unhappy, in pain and lack confidence. What a load of rubbish! Besides being a happy, large busted woman I also know many women who are very happy and comfortable in their large breasts. The article in the Huffington Post implied that women like me are almost deluded because happiness, confidence and comfort simply don't apply to busty women.

There are a few stereotypes that get trotted out in articles about large breasts and I think we need to start taking them with a huge pinch of salt because they undermine the goal of stomping out big boob stereotypes. I want to address a few things written in the article:

"They (big boobs) dominate your whole life"
When you understand which sizes and styles of bras are right for your breasts many women can get on with their busy and varied lives without thinking about their breasts. My 32GG bust does not weigh on my mind when I'm working out in my Enell sports bra, they don't bug me when I'm out for dinner in my Idina plunge, and they behave themselves all day in my array of full coverage and balconette bras. They don't dominate my life because I have learned how to support and dress them in a way that makes me comfortable and happy.

"...and attempting to get guys to look above our chin when they talked to us."
There is a social assumption that every male is looking at big boobs with lecherous intent. Not only is this not true it also doesn't apply solely to big boobs. Those males who are only capable of looking at a woman's chest will do so whether you've got a little or a lot of boob, the problem lies with the man and not the cup size. This generalization also does a disservice to all the men who respect women, are interested in their thoughts and actions just as much (if not more) than how they look. This point is a whole other post but sufficed to say many people, men and women, are looking us in the face and we shouldn't dismiss them along with the stereotype.

"the giant girls sag from the sheer weight and flip-flop about in pretty much the least sexy way possible. Not a great visual, right?"
So much about this bothers me. Who the hell decides what's sexy? My breasts don't stay up by themselves, they haven't for years, they move about when not supported and not only do I feel sexy in my body I happen to love the natural shape and movement of my breasts so how dare you tell me it's not a great visual!

"Remember that we are just as insecure with ourselves as women who only need a camisole. We carry our own (very heavy) insecurities every day, too. Like everyone else, we learn how to cope with our own body image issues. You either hide behind giant clothing and pretend your breasts aren't the first thing anyone sees, or you learn to break the ice, make the first joke and just acknowledge the elephant(s) in the room. Because if you don't, someone else will."

Aghghghghgghgh!!!! Firstly, not every woman feels daily insecurities about her body and they're not delusional narcissists, they are women who have other priorities, have a self-confidence they can rely on and women who have dispensed with being told to feel insecure.

You absolutely have more options than wearing baggy clothing or self-deprecating humour. Your breasts are not 'elephants' that need to be belittled in order to make other people feel better. You are the sum of many parts and your breasts are only one part and to the people in this world who truly care for you, you will never have to justify or hide this part of you.

I know that for a long time to come we will continue to see articles like this which only serve to keep busty women in a vicious cycle of self-loathing and fear. As you know a huge part of what we do at Butterfly Collection is build knowledge and confidence as well as your bra drawer so please don't feel like you should feel embarrassed or ashamed about your bust simply because you're busty, it's a load of nonsense!! xx

13 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Clair. Thanks for this terrific post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for writing this! I was actually just thinking about this and was going to write a blog post about it. I never ever read a article about growing up with big breasts that doesn't sound all depressing and negative. I had a great time growing up with big breasts. I didn't have back pain, or tell my smaller chested friends how lucky they were, I didn't have back problems, or have problems dealing with teenage boys eyes. I think you hit the nail on the head! Men will look regardless, and sometimes looking is just out of curiosity/the eye naturally being drawn to an ample area (I've had many women look too, I even can't help but glance at a larger chest myself!). I do feel like many posts about women with large breasts are written negatively. I'd love to see more posts celebrating life with large breasts instead of bemoaning it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! People have silly notions and want to speak for everyone else by way of stereotyping. Large or small breasts, they do not define a woman. Each individual woman has so much more to offer everyone around her that has nothing to do with her cup size, or the degree of her curves. Thank you for celebrating all curves, deep or shallow, and anything else in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your support ladies. It just drives me crazy that women are encouraged to feel ashamed and unhappy with their bodies as though we never deserve to feel confident and content. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brava! There is more than one type of beautiful! Thank you for bringing this out in the open. I am so tired of looking at TV, magazines, etc and having someone else show me what ideal beauty should look like. Beauty comes in ALL shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I hate the un-word 'boob'...it should not be used to describe a part of a human body. Same goes for 'tit'. A tit is a bird, and nothing else. Let's call them what they are, shall we?
    Now, as the boyfriend of a busty lady, I must say the huffpost article is...an odd read. While she occasionally says she thinks hers are too big, she want to have them reduced, wear bulky clothes to hide them, wear minimiser bras, etc...she accepts them as they are. All women's bodies are beautiful as they are. Big breasts or small, skinny or plump, tall or short...you are human, and that's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i read the original article and wow that girl must have had more than just issues with her breasts growing up. that article is filled with more self hate than anything. I have had large breasts from a very young age and never ever have I hated them or my body because of it. my breasts have never stopped me from doing anything from swimming to ballet to everyday things. by the sounds of it the writer obviously has been in ill fitting bras for a long time and needs to find a proper fitting ones and learn to love her body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love everything about this response CC - thank you for your eloquent comment xx

      Delete
  8. Couldn't agree more. I love my breasts (32G) and always have. I'm terribly sorry for people who don't like their bodies, and I feel it would be a better use of their time to address those body issues, rather than trying to get other women to corroborate/share/validate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've hit the nail on the head here Jess. There was nothing of use suggested to stop women feeling bad about their breasts, it was an attempt to drag others down and that's not a productive solution! xx

      Delete
    2. Spot on! I wish women could stop doing this eye-rolling 'we all hate our bodies, right, sisters? Let's unite in self-hatred!' thing. We could and should be celebrating our bodies, and all the amazing things we can do with them. I don't like daddy-long-legses (nyaaaaaaaaah! There was one on the train yesterday that got tangled in the hair of the girl in front of me!), but I know it's a stupid and irrational fear, and therefore it would be bizarre and cruel to try and normalise that by trying to persuade other people that they should *also* hate and fear daddy-long-legses.

      Also, I think anyone who has ever had anything medically wrong with their breasts is entitled to take a very dim view of this kind of whiny nonsense. I'm delighted to have breasts at all (just as I'm delighted to have all my other body parts in good working order).

      Delete
  9. I too was disturbed by some of what was said in the article. It is annoying that larger breasted women have to pay more for bras and clothes that fit right but that doesn't make me angry and frustrated with my body. It makes me angry and frustrated at retailers and the fashion world. Despite it being more difficult for me to find bras I wouldn't change my breasts for the world. I love them!

    ReplyDelete